How I went from overworked business owner to helping some of the most successful entrepreneurs and coaches build a life and business they love…
The truth is, I’ve always been both an entrepreneur and a coach, but I haven’t always had the freedom and life I’ve always dreamed of.
I distinctly remember sitting down at a local café in Santa Barbara, California back in 2007. It was one of those iconic California sunny days, and I took a seat with outside away from everyone else where I could enjoy the view and be alone. I had my cup of coffee and my journal.
It was at that point that I started to ask myself some tough questions. Was I truly happy? Is this the life I want to live? If I continue down this path, will I look back at my life with joy or with regret?
The answers started flowing through me. I already knew them. The problem was, I was that I was running three [seemingly] successful companies, coaching some of the most successful people in the world, and living in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I often was told how jealous people were of my life and that I had it made. But… I wasn’t happy. It was no longer my dream. I knew I was meant for more.
I started reading about both personal development and business at a very young age. My father was an executive and we’d listen to business cassettes in the car – something I still do today… just not on cassettes.
Between then and 2007, I had attended countless workshops, seminars, read numerous books, and hired mentors… but no one seemed to have the answers I was looking for and I was often told that my dream of running successful companies AND living a life on my own terms wasn’t possible. “Choose one or the other.” My mentors told me. “You can’t have both a successful business life and a successful personal life – they are mutually exclusive.”
I knew in my heart that it was possible and they were working off of their own limitations and paradigms. I didn’t know anyone “doing it” at the time, but I knew it had to be possible.
It was at that moment in the café that I made a conscious choice to make my dream of owning successful companies, traveling the world, and living a full-life on my terms a reality.
I got to work.
Today I own six companies, travel all over the world, coach some of the most successful business owners and coaches in the world, and all without sacrificing my relationships and time with family. I’m not going to tell you it was easy, nor that your journey will be easy, but I will tell you that living your dream life is worth it!
My passion is helping people achieve their dreams and push through barriers that they might not even know they’ve created. It fills me up and lights my soul. I absolutely love it and thrive when working with someone.
I got his first taste of coaching by working as a sports coach in the mid 90’s. I soon moved onto personal training where I realized that helping people improve their fitness was more about just their bodies. I’d witness a complete metamorphosis of each client both inside and out. It was truly beautiful and I got hooked!
I’ve been involved in the fitness industry for over two decades now and have worked in just about every field the industry has to offer from gyms and certification companies to privately coaching celebrities and doing corporate consulting. Along my journey, I’ve accumulated over 18 degrees and certifications in the health and fitness field. Moreover, I’ve worked with 1,000’s of people, helping them better their lives.
I was picked up by a startup while still in college the late 90’s and has worked in Internet Marketing ever since. It was then that I realized that I could combine my passion for helping others and growing businesses. I went on to attend every course I could find, read any book recommended to me, and sought out mentors at an early age (still do).
Regardless of whether I’m working with a high-profile private coaching client, helping a gym owner achieve financial freedom, or consulting with a Fortune 200 company, I’m able to draw upon my experience and education to help them achieve their goals. This fills me up and spills over into everything I do. It’s my calling.
Some of my educational accomplishments and credentials include:
- Host of The Author Of Your Own Story Daily Growth Hacks Show
- Co-Host of The Powerful Man Show
- Associated with The Future Of Fitness Show
- Associated with The Coffee Break Podcast
- Associated with The Fitness Blitz Podcast
- Featured in The Freedom Club Podcast, Synergy Mindset Coaching Podcast, The Fitness Retention Podcast, and more.
- Featured in many publications such as Men’s Fitness, Shape Magazine, Fitness Plus Magazine, Family Doctor Magazine, and Bodybuilding.com
- Regular Contributor to Pro-Trainer Online Magazine, Los Angeles Men’s Fitness Examiner, Scene and Heard, Santa Barbara Fitness Magazine, Dining and Destinations, and Fitness Professional Online
- International Sports Sciences Association, Masters in Fitness Sciences
- National Strength and Conditioning Association, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- Bachelor’s Degree, University of California at Santa Barbara
- Named as a Master Trainer by the University of California at Santa Barbara’s Fitness Instructor Department
- Doug is one of the world’s only Certified Fitness Equipment Experts (FEX) instructors. The FEX training program was developed by the American Council on Exercise (ACE), the nation’s “Consumer Watchdog” in the fitness industry.
- Certified in Conversion Funnel Mastery – a master class in funnel conversion to help businesses reduce acquisition costs while simultaneously increasing both immediate and lifetime customer values.
Other certifications related to fitness and health:
- United States Weightlifting Federation Club Coach
- Certified Specialist in Performance Nutrition (SPN)
- Certified Specialist in Fitness for Older Adults (SFOA)
- Certified Youth Fitness Trainer (YFT)
- Certified Fitness Therapist (FT)
- Certified in Martial Arts Conditioning (SMAC)
- Certified Specialist in Adaptive Fitness (SAF)
- Certified Water Fitness Trainer (WFT)
- Certified Endurance Fitness Trainer (EFT)
- Certified Specialist in Sports Conditioning (SSC)
- Certified SPARQ Trainer (Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction, and Quickness)
- National Exercise and Sports Trainers Association, Certified Personal Trainer
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), Advanced Specialization in Corrective Exercise Specialist
- Master Trainer from the International Sports Sciences Association
- Master of Sports Sciences (MSS)
Certifications in Digital Marketing include:
- Google AdWords Certified (Now Google Ads)
- Conversion Funnel Mastery
- Paid Traffic Mastery
- Content Marketing Mastery
- Social & Community Mastery
- Search Marketing Mastery
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization
- Email Marketing Mastery